Thursday, November 23, 2006

Range Finders

A good friend just called me up and asked me my opinion on range finders. Now as of this time I do not own a range finder. If the manufacturers out there want to send me some to test I am more then open to tryng them out and writing a review. Once I am done with them, I will donate them to a local conservation organization to auction off.

The method I have used in the woods over the past several years for ranging is guessing. The more you practice it the better you get. Luckily, I had the opportunity to play with a couple this fall while hunting in Idaho. To me the real fun was trying to pick a point, guess the range and then use the range finder to see if I was right. I think it could bring practice to a whole new level of fun while in the woods. Of the two or three that I played with, one unit really stood out hands and feet above the rest.

The Bushnell Elite 1500 was absolutely the leader among the units I played with. The hunter, I borrowed this unit from had it programmed in with the ballitics of his rifle and it would give him the effective range of his bullet and the drop based on gravities pull of the bullet. He told me that it would work with archery as well as ballistics on a rifle and that is impressive.

This unit is not in my budget at the moment, but I am definately going to be saving up for it over the next year or so. When I get some more information on how this unit works, I will post it. I am sure your local Bushnell dealer can get this unit for you.