Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Day four in Saskatchewan and day two in the bear stand.



This morning I woke up and had a fantastic breakfast and then took a long nap before another wonderful lunch! Berta is one amazing cook up here at Horns Whitetail Adventures, you will not go home hungry!

I got some practice in at the target and then it was off to the stands. We were all set up and ready by 3:15 in the stand and it was about 45 minutes before the first bear came in. He was a black with a bit of brown in his coat and a bit scraggly and rubbed about 175lbs or so. Then the little sow from yesterday came in and he chased her off the stand and then a third bear came into the stand and after he left a real nice bear came in.

This bear was a shooter we estimate to be around 300lbs... He was really nervous and circled the bait for about 10 minutes before he came in. I had the arrow ready and when I knew that Max was on him with the camera I drew back. He was standing on the tree looking up at the beaver bait and I had the pin right on his vitals. As I touched off the release the bear dropped and I hit him just behind his ear and he crashed out of the there fast in a straight line.

Max looked at the footage about 30 or 40 times and we know that I gave him a pretty good headache and a flesh wound behind his ear but the shot was not a killing shot and we have one mad bear out there! I will be kicking myself for a long time because I could of waited for a better shot when he was standing there and not moving or at least sitting at a better angle.

Today was filled with highs and lows.. That bear was a definite high and low all wrapped into one. The rest of the afternoon we had two more bears come back to the stand and were walking around us for the rest of the day until the guides in the Rhino's came to pick us up.

We have looked at the footage over and over and I am going to share it here for everyone. Some of you may be wondering why I am sharing this. I am here to be honest with myself and honest with all of you. Today, I made a mistake and I learned a lesson. My lesson is be patient, be patient and be patient and I think I learned that lesson the hard way today!

We are going back out tomorrow and I will take that lesson with me to the field as we continue our adventure here in Saskatchewan.